This test will check for the presence of Legionella Bacteria in your water system.
The simple kit contains a sterile container, gloves and instructions on how to take your water sample properly. Once the sample is taken, Express Post or deliver the bottles back to us on the same day. The sample can be received in the laboratory up to 24 hours after being taken and should arrive to Fitz Scientific between Monday - Thursday.
A Certificate of Analysis will be sent to you with your water test results along with an information sheet on understanding your results.
If you have more than one sample for Legionella testing please choose the appropriate quantity in the box above. If you have many samples or require a Legionella Risk Assessment please call us on 041 98 45440 and we will discuss your exact requirements.
Legionellosis is the collective name given to the pneumonia-like illness caused by legionella bacteria. This includes the most serious legionnaires’ disease, as well as the similar but less serious conditions of Pontiac fever and Lochgoilhead fever. Legionnaires’ disease is a potentially fatal form of pneumonia and everyone is susceptible to infection. However, some people are at higher risk, including:
- people over 45 years of age.
- smokers and heavy drinkers.
- people suffering from chronic respiratory or kidney disease.
- anyone with an impaired immune system.
Any water system that has the right environmental conditions could potentially be a source for legionella bacteria growth. There is a reasonably foreseeable legionella risk in your water system if:
- water is stored or re-circulated as part of your system.
- the water temperature in all or some part of the system is between 20–45 °C.
- there are sources of nutrients such as rust, sludge, scale and organic matters.
- the conditions are likely to encourage bacteria to multiply.
- it is possible for water droplets to be produced and, if so, if they can be dispersed over a wide area, eg showers and aerosols.